People > Michela Gamberini
LAST NAME: Gamberini
FIRST NAME: Michela
BIRTHPLACE AND DATE: Bologna, Italy, March 20, 1971
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Neuromotorie
Sede di Fisiologia
Università di Bologna
Piazza di Porta San Donato 2
40126 Bologna Italy
in Biology on December 19, 1995 at the University of Bologna, Italy
1995: Degree in Biology with the discussion of the final dissertation on: "Correlazione tra la caratterizzazione immunofenotipica dei filamenti intermedi nel Carcinoma della Mammella e l'espressione tissutale di EGFr, c-erbB2 e della proteina dell'oncogene p53" (Correlation between immunophenotypic characterization of intermediates filaments in Breast Cancer and expression in the tissue of EGFr, c-erbB2 and the protein of the p53 oncogene)
1995-1996: Training at the S. Orsola Hospital of Bologna and admission into occupational register
1996-1999: PhD in Neuroscience at the University of Bologna, Italy, with the discussion of the final dissertation on:
"Connessioni corticali dell'area visiva extrastriata V6 nel cervello di macaco: studio elettrofisiologico ed indagine neuroanatomica" (Cortical connections of the extrastriate visual area V6 in the macaque brain: electrophysiological study and neuroanatomical analysis).
February 2000: PhD in Neuroscience, University of L'Aquila (Italy), Supervisor: Prof. Claudio Galletti.
1999-2000: Holder of an annual Post-doc scholarship in Vision Neurophysiology Laboratory of Prof. Galletti in the Department of Human and General Physiology of the University of Bologna
2000-2004: Holder of a two-years Post-doc scholarship "Assegno di Ricerca" (renewed for other two years) of the University of Bologna in Vision Neurophysiology Laboratory of Prof. Galletti in the Department of Human and General Physiology
July 2002: Holder of a six months scholarship supported by "Marco Polo Project Fellowship" of the University of Bologna for young researchers abroad, in the Vision Research Laboratory of Prof. Rosa, in the Department of Physiology of Monash University, Clayton, Australia, about the project “The parieto-occipital cortex in New world and Old world monkeys” (“La corteccia parieto-occipitale nelle scimmie del Nuovo e del Vecchio Mondo”)
2005-2006: Holder of an annual Post-doc scholarship of the MIUR in Vision Neurophysiology Laboratory of Prof. Galletti in the Department of Human and General Physiology
From 1st of October 2006: University Researcher of General Physiology at the Department of Human and General Physiology of the University of Bologna, now Department of Pharmacy and Biotechnology of the University of Bologna.
RESEARCH FIELD :
Neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of the primate visual system
- Neuroanatomy Laboratory of Prof. Luppino, in the Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Italy
- Vision Research Laboratory of Prof. Rosa, in the Department of Physiology of Monash University, Clayton, Australia
- Neuroimaging Laboratory of Prof. Zilles, in the Institute for medicine (IME), Research Center Juelich, Juelich, Germany
Holder of scholarship of Bolognese Association for the study of hematology cancer (A.B.S.T.E.), bursaries for young researchers to attend international meetings “FENS2000” in Brighton (UK), “Joint Meeting of the Physiological Society and SIF 2002” in Liverpool (UK), “SFN2003” in New Orleans (USA), “FENS2004” in Lisbona (P), "SFN2010" in San Diego (USA).
- Assistant Professor of Physiology and Nutrition Physiology in the School of Pharmacy, Biotechnology and Sport Science at the University of Bologna;
- Supervisor of experimental thesis of students of Pharmacy, Life Sciences and Biotechnology at the University of Bologna;
- Seminars related to experimental activities to honor and PhD students that work in the lab.
- Seminars at the Department of Human and General Physiology in Bologna and in others Italian and foreign Universities: 17/10/02 Melbourne University of Melbourne; 31/10/02 Sydney University of Sydney; 18/11/02 Monash University of Melbourne; 2nd annual meeting PrimateNeurobiology, 23-25/03/2009 Gottingen-Tubingen, Germany; European Meeting The Health Brokerage Event 2009, 4/6/2009 Prague; Cognitive Systems and Robotics in ICT call 6-infoday, 20/01/2010 Prague; Scientific Meeting Fondazione del Monte di Bologna e Ravenna, 18/05/2010 Bologna; Open Information Day - FP7 Health Research Conference, 8/06/2010 Brussels; Meeting "Science, Technology, Higher Education and Society in the Conceptual Age" STHESCA2011, 4-7/07/2011 Cracovia.
Courses on Animal care:
- 9-11/11/2009, Roma, "Biology, care, nutrition and handling of non-human primates";
- June-September 2009, Bologna, "Indroductory course on animal testing";
- 2nd annual meeting PrimateNeurobiology, 23-25/03/2009, Gottingen-Tubingen, Germany;
- 25/01/2008, Roma, Seminar "Care of animal lab";
- 24-25/05/2001, Chieti, "Foundations and news the animal testing in biomedical research";
- 26/11/1998, Modena, Seminar "Stabulary techniques and care of non-human primates";
- 12/06/1998, Verona, 2nd Workshop on "Animal Care".
- “Corso teorico-pratico di Microscopia ottica e confocale” (Theoretical-practical couse of Optic and Confocal microscpopy) at the University of Bologna
- “Corso di perfezionamento in Nutrizione e Benessere” (Improving couse of Nutrition and Welfare) at the University of Milano
- Couses of digital graphics and analysis of image
- Advanced Conversation course of english at the Anglo American School of English of Bologna.
Member of the “Italian Physiological Society (SIF)”, “Italian Neuroscience Society (SINS)”, “Federation of European Neuroscience Associations" (FENS), “Australian Neuroscience Society (ANS)”, "Society for Neuroscience" (SFN).
- Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Italy
- Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton Campus, Melbourne, Australia
- Department of Anatomy, Histology and Neuroscience, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
- Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Iraklion, Greece
Institute for medicine (IME), Research Center Juelich, Juelich, Germany.
Michela Gamberini has partecipated in grants funded by the Italian Ministry of Education, University, and Research (MIUR), the Australian Research Council in the Linkage International Awards (Project ID: LX0776009), and in 2 EU projects (FP7-ICT-217077-EYESHOTS and FP6-2004-IST-4-MATHESIS).
Bakola S, Passarelli L, Gamberini M, Fattori P, Galletti C. Cortical connectivity suggests a role in limb coordination for macaque area PE of the superior parietal cortex. J Neurosci. 2013 April 10;33(15):6648-58. PMID: 23575861.
Gamberini M, Galletti C, Bosco A, Breveglieri R, Fattori P. Is the medialposterior parietal area V6A a single functional area? J Neurosci. 2011 Mar30;31(13):5145-57. PubMed PMID: 21451050.
Passarelli L, Rosa MG, Gamberini M, Bakola S, Burman KJ, Fattori P, GallettiC. Cortical connections of area V6Av in the macaque: a visual-input node to theeye/hand coordination system. J Neurosci. 2011 Feb 2;31(5):1790-801. PubMed PMID:21289189.
Bakola S, Gamberini M, Passarelli L, Fattori P, Galletti C. Cortical connections of parietal field PEc in the macaque: linking vision and somatic sensation for the control of limb action. Cereb Cortex. 2010 Nov;20(11):2592-604. Epub 2010 Feb 22. PubMed PMID: 20176687.
Rosa MG, Palmer SM, Gamberini M, Burman KJ, Yu HH, Reser DH, Bourne JA, Tweedale R, Galletti C. Connections of the dorsomedial visual area: pathways for early integration of dorsal and ventral streams in extrastriate cortex. J Neurosci. 2009 Apr 8;29(14):4548-63. PubMed PMID: 19357280.
Gamberini M, Passarelli L, Fattori P, Zucchelli M, Bakola S, Luppino G, Galletti C. Cortical connections of the visuomotor parietooccipital area V6Ad of the macaque monkey. J Comp Neurol. 2009 Apr 20;513(6):622-42. PubMed PMID: 19235224.
Burman KJ, Palmer SM, Gamberini M, Spitzer MW, Rosa MG. Anatomical and physiological definition of the motor cortex of the marmoset monkey. J Comp Neurol. 2008 Feb 10;506(5):860-76. PubMed PMID: 18076083.
Breveglieri R, Galletti C, Gamberini M, Passarelli L, Fattori P (2006) Somatosensory cells in area PEc of macaque posterior parietal cortex. J Neurosci. 26: 3679-84
Burman K, Palmer S, Gamberini M, Rosa MG (2006) Cytoarchitectonic subdivisions of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex of the marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus), and their projections to dorsal extrastriate visual areas. J Comp Neurol 495: 149-72
Luppino G, Ben Hamed S, Gamberini M, Matelli M, Galletti C (2005) Occipital (V6) and parietal (V6A) areas in the anterior wall of the parieto-occipital sulcus of the macaque: a cytoarchitectonic study. Eur J Neurosci 21: 3056-3076
Rosa MG, Palmer SM, Gamberini M, Tweedale R, Pinon MC, Bourne JA (2005) Resolving the organization of the New World monkey third visual complex: The dorsal extrastriate cortex of the marmoset (Callithrix jacchus). J Comp Neurol 483: 164-191
Galletti C, Gamberini M, Kutz DF, Baldinotti I, Fattori P (2005) The relationship between V6 and PO in macaque extrastriate cortex. Eur J Neurosci 21: 959-970
Galletti C, Fattori P, Gamberini M, Kutz DF (2004) The most direct visual pathway to the frontal cortex. Cortex 40: 216-217
Galletti C, Kutz DF, Gamberini M, Breveglieri R, Fattori P (2003) Role of the medial parieto-occipital cortex in the control of reaching and grasping movements. Exp Brain Res 153: 158-170
Kutz DF, Fattori P, Gamberini M, Breveglieri R, Galletti C (2003) Early- and late-responding cells to saccadic eye movements in the cortical area V6A of macaque monkey. Exp Brain Res 149: 83-95
Breveglieri R, Kutz DF, Fattori P, Gamberini M, Galletti C (2002) Somatosensory cells in the parieto-occipital area V6A of the macaque. Neuroreport 13: 2113-2116
Galletti C, Gamberini M, Kutz DF, Fattori P, Luppino G, Matelli M (2001) The cortical connections of area V6: an occipito-parietal network processing visual information. Eur J Neurosci 13: 1572-1588
Fattori P, Gamberini M, Kutz DF, Galletti C (2001) 'Arm-reaching' neurons in the parietal area V6A of the macaque monkey. Eur J Neurosci 13: 2309-2313
Galletti C, Fattori P, Gamberini M, Kutz DF (1999) The cortical visual area V6: brain location and visual topography. Eur J Neurosci 11: 3922-3936
Galletti C, Fattori P, Kutz DF, Gamberini M (1999) Brain location and visual topography of cortical area V6A in the macaque monkey. Eur J Neurosci 11: 575-582
Ceccarelli C, Santini D, Gamberini M, Taffurelli M, Chieco P, Piana S, Pileri S, Marrano D (1999) Immunohistochemical expression of internal and external ErbB-2 domains in invasive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 58:107-114
Ceccarelli C, Santini D, Chieco P, Taffurelli M, Gamberini M, Pileri SA, Marrano D (1998) Retinoblastoma (Rb1) gene product expression in breast carcinoma. Correlation with Ki-67 growth fraction and biopathological profile. J Clin Pathol 11: 818-824